Fall Football Lessons

 I am not a football person, might as well own it early in order to dissipate any confusion moving forward.

The extent of my knowledge is a “Hail Mary Pass” -that last ditch effort.

However, I do enjoy the lessons we can learn from athletes, I appreciate a good sportsmanship game, I am challenged by the discipline showcased in practices, I value the community feel among fans, and don't get me started on the hot dogs and funnel cake. 

For the past few weeks, I have been recovering from a herniated disc in my lower back.

They say misery loves company and with that, I have been watching far too many sports injury reports as a way to show myself that it could be worse. 

Mind over matter, right?

One in particular stood out to me.

Jimmy Garoppolo, quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, injured himself towards the beginning of the season. The diagnosis was a high ankle sprain.

 Like any good red blooded American, I WebMD’d his report.

At a minimum, a high ankle sprain requires six weeks of rest.

Within two weeks, he was back on the field. His passion and drive caused him to return far sooner than what is medically recommended.

It should come as no surprise, there were consequences. He ended up reinjuring his ankle.

What caught my attention the most about his story is that quite a few people criticized him, terribly.

This guy injured himself, pushed himself to get back on the field at a faster rate than normal, at his own body’s expense, because of his love for the game and desire to not let people down.

Playing on a hurt ankle should not lead to verbal performance criticism.

Fans should be proud that they have someone on their team desiring to not let them down, especially when that person is suited up, playing in pain.

I am not advocating for his choice, personally I think he should have taken the six weeks, but I am advocating for his stop-at-nothing passion.

His passion and choices served as a refreshing reminder of Jesus’s passion and choices for us.

Jesus went to the cross because of His love and passion. 

He bore our punishment on his body. 

We broke his ankles ourselves and He still chooses to play.

Similar to the critics, when things don’t go right in our lives, when we aren’t “winning the game”, when hard times come, when we do not get our way-we complain, we criticize, is He even for us anymore? Does He even care?

2020 has been a yearFor everyone.

It has been full of circumstances that feel as though we have lost the game. 

I cannot explain or make sense of all the hardships, and I do not know what the future will entail.

But I do know, without a shadow of a doubt, whether it feels as though the game is won or lost, Jesus’s ankles were broken for me, He always shows up to the field to play, and His passion and love for me is far greater than any athlete’s passion. 

My prayer is that, win or lose the game, my response towards Him will always be praise.




Comments