Marc Fucarile.

Marc Fucarile.
You have no reason to know who he is.
But you should.
He is the very last victim of the Boston Bombings that is still in the hospital.
He lost his right leg above the knee.
Doctors are still trying to save his shattered left leg.
He has second and third degree burns.
And a piece of shrapnel lodged in his heart.
The shrapnel includes nails, BB pellets, and paper clips.
His future is uncertain.
But he is excited about it.
Excited?
Yes.
He is engaged.
Was and still is in the process of planning a wedding.
He plans to stand as best man in his brothers wedding.
He has a little boy to father.
While firefighters carried him away,
he kept saying "I don't want to die. I have a son, and fiancee."
The family kept count of the 10 surgeries that he has already had.
More surgeries are in the near future.
Yet, his description says that "his upbeat attitude helps other family members cope."
His fiancee said, "Marc is keeping me strong when I should be keeping him strong."
Marc explained to his little boy that he will be getting a fake leg:
"He understands that I'm going to get a fake leg, he's looking forward to them maybe putting a video game in my leg, so he can play it."
When asked about his thoughts on the entire situation,
Marc shared that he is not going to let this bring him down.
Exclaiming that "there are so many more good people than bad."
I know nothing about his faith.
However, when I read Marc's story...
2 corinthians 12:9-10 was engraved in my mind the entire time.
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."
Marc is becoming familiar with pain.
The apostle Paul knew pain very well.
Both, have beautiful outlooks when it comes to hardships.
Of this I am envious.
Marc has experienced so much in the past 4 weeks alone
Yet chooses to see the beauty.
The beauty in people.
The beauty in circumstances.
I struggle with seeing the beauty in small, day to day struggles.
I pray for, and long for, the day that I can say with confidence, in the light of any circumstance, whether big or small "For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Comments