We are going to a Wedding.

It's no secret that I love to read.
I mean curl-up-in-your-bed-stay-in-your-pajamas-start-to-finish-in-a-day read.
But I am a super weird and picky reader.
For instance,
I can't stand reading anything by Philip Yancey or Beth Moore.
Don't know why.
I've tried.
Just can't finish a book by them and enjoy it.
Yet one of my favorite author's is A.W.Tozer
I am a Tozer addict. Literally.
I'm a total Boxcar Children fan. Still.
Reading is an eclectic addiction I have.
Moving on,
I just finished reading When God Whispers Your Name by Max Lucado.
And I wanted to share a bit from one of the chapters that I found interesting.
"Picture six men walking on a narrow road. The men's faces are eager, but common. Their leader is confident, but unknown. He has spent more time building than teaching. But this week the teaching has begun.
Where are they going?
To the Temple to worship? To the Synagogue to teach? To the hills to pray?
They haven't been told but they each have their own idea.
John and Andrew expect to be led into the desert. That's where their previous teacher, John the Baptist, had taken them.
Peter is a stand up and say it sort of fellow. Probably taking us somewhere to preach, he is thinking to himself.
Nathanael, who had spent hours under a fig tree is convinced that they are going somewhere to sit and ponder.
And the others? Who knows what they were thinking. Lips poised to preach to thousands.
Where were they going?
So Rabbi where are you taking us?
We're on our way to a wedding.
Silence.
Why? There is drinking, and laughter, and dancing...
How can you meditate at a wedding? Or preach at a wedding?
Wasn't His time limited? How could a wedding fit with His purpose on earth?
The answer is found in John 2 Verse 2.
'Jesus and His followers were also invited to the wedding.'
Be sure to put Jesus' name on the list.
Jesus wasn't invited because he was a celebrity. He wasn't one yet. The invitation wasn't motivated by his miracles. He'd yet to perform any.
I suppose they liked him.
I think it's significant that common folk in a little town enjoyed being with Jesus.
I think it's noteworthy that the Almighty didn't act high and mighty.
The Holy One wasn't holier-than-thou.
The one who knew it all wasn't a know-it-all.
The one who made the stars didn't keep his head in them.
The one who owns all the stuff of earth never strutted it.
He could have.
His purpose was not to show off but to show up.
He went to great pains to be as human as the guy down the street.
He didn't need to study, but He still went to the Synagogue.
He had no need for income, but He still worked in the workshop.
He had known the fellowship of angels and heard the harps of Heaven, yet He still went to parties thrown by tax collectors.
And upon His shoulders rested the challenge of redeeming creation, but He still took time to walk ninety miles from Jericho to Cana to go to a wedding.
As a result, people liked him.
Oh, there were those who chaffed at his claims.
They called him a blasphemer, but they never called him a braggart.
They accused him of heresy, but never arrogance.
He was branded as radical, but never called unapproachable.
His faith made Him likable not detestable, would that ours do the same!
Why did He go to the party?
My guess is that, just maybe, He wanted to have fun.
What!?
Think about it.
He had just spent forty days in the desert.
His purpose wasn't to turn water into wine, that was a favor for his friends.
His purpose wasn't to show His power. The wedding host didn't even know what Jesus did.
His purpose wasn't to preach. There is no record of a sermon.
Really only leaves one reason, Fun.
Jesus was a likable fellow.
I'm not talking debauchery, drunkenness, and adultery.
I'm not endorsing compromise, coarseness, or obscenity.
I am simply crusading for the freedom to enjoy a good joke, enliven a dull party, and appreciate a fun evening.
It's been a while since I pegged Jesus as a party lover.
But He was.
His foes accused Him of eating too much, drinking too much, and hanging out with the wrong people!(Matt.11:19)
What happened to clean joy and loud laughter?
Is it our neckties that choke us?
Is it our diplomas that dignify us?
Is it the pew that stiffens us?"


Comments

  1. My spouse and I stumbled above right here different website page and imagined I should really check important things out. I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to finding out regarding your web page repeatedly.
    malibu wedding locations

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment