Intravenous.

Nurses do not like me.
That's just fact. And I totally get it, and don't blame them.
My veins are my arch nemesis.
They are hard to see. Plus they roll. I'm a double threat.
One time, a nurse tried to start an IV three times in my left arm. Three times in my right. Both hands.
She could not get the IV in.
She then suggested calling the hospitals IV team. Which is essentially a group of nurses that go all day simply starting IV's and then move on to the next patient. They are skilled.
In tears, I begged, pleaaaase I have had enough. You should have started with the IV team. I gave you the heads up.
One time, I told a nurse "I have bad veins, plus they roll, I'm so sorry." she responded with "I can't even remember the last time I had to start an IV twice. I've got this. Don't worry."
After about her fourth try she began to get frustrated with ME!!
You get the point.
There has only been ONE time where a nurse started an IV on the first try. I was shocked.  Like I had to pick my jaw up from the ground shocked.
Immediately my mom exclaimed "You are good!"
She replied "I never start an IV without praying over it." I smiled.
In life, I constantly try to start IV's on my own.
I wake up and depend on my own strength far too often than not.
I give each nurse a fair warning. Yet they still choose to heed my advice after multiple attempts of their own.
Jesus gives us fair warning and says: "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart, I have overcome the world!" John 16:33
I know I will have trials and trouble in this world. Yet, at times, I still choose not to rely on my very own IV team that was sent...Jesus, until I have exhausted my own strength as well.
I want to be like the nurse who prays before each needle.
The nurse who even though she had been starting IV's for over twenty years still felt the need to ask God for help in this area.
The nurse whose accomplishments and strengths were only made possible by Jesus' hand guiding hers and she recognized it.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
    and do not lean on your own understanding.
 In all your ways acknowledge him,
    and he will make straight your paths.
 Be not wise in your own eyes;
    fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your flesh
 and refreshment to your bones." Proverbs 3: 5-8.

Comments