Favorite Woman in the Bible.

Is it even okay to pick a favorite?
I'm going for it anyway!
Every time I read the Easter story there is one verse that stands out to me.
I love this verse.
 It doesn't change any outcome and nothing else is mentioned of this person afterwards. Yet it was important enough to be included.
There He stood. Waiting to be judged.
No one defended Him.
His disciples did not voice a defense. They watched in silence.
Peter denied Him three times.
People whom Jesus had healed, were among the crowd. Quiet.
Those who welcomed Him into town just days before, shouting "Hosanna to the son of David! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!" Matthew 21:9
...now demanding the release of Barabbas.
Yet one person stood up for Him.
One pleaded for His release.
A person who had no reason to and everything at stake for doing so.
Who?
Pilate's wife.
She is arguably one of my favorite women in the Bible. And I don't even know her name.
She only has one verse.
But that verse is enough to show her character.
She did not believe in Jesus. She was never a follower of Christ.
She was never healed by Him. She had never sat and listened to one of His sermons.
Yet she pleaded His innocence.
That takes courage.
It is one thing for a believer to stand up for what is right. Yet another thing, for someone who doesn't believe, to still stand up for what is right.
Pilate could have had her killed for her outburst.
It was considered disrespectful.
Yet she had so much conviction in her heart that the cost did not matter to her.
"While Pilate was sitting on the judgment's seat, his wife sent him this message: Don't have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of Him." Matthew 27:19
There have been many opportunities in my life, that I have not been this bold.
I have let moments pass without voicing what was right.
I know, I'm human. I can empathize completely with Peter. It doesn't make it right.
However, I constantly go back to this verse.
Pilate's wife's boldness, without even having the love for Jesus that His followers had.
Without even knowing the love that Jesus had for her.
Yet still risking her life in order to plead His innocence.
I find it so beautiful. And convicting all at the same time.

Comments